Monday, April 20, 2009

gRammer>?

Ok... so what's the deal with grammar?

I'm definitely a math-minded person.
I know, statistics show that on the whole, men are generally more math minded, and women more english/grammar-minded, but even so... WTF?

Is it Georgia? Is it the south? What's the deal here?

I am not very good about timelines. I can't remember how old I was when I had my bowl-el-paso birthday party or my Easter birthday party, and even though they are both significant in my mind, there are people that can remember exactly how old they were when so and so said such and such. Me, I can remember time frames, but not specifics. But I DO remember my seventh grade english class. That class I remember very well. And for whatever reason, whatever Mrs. Roarke had to say just stuck. And so now I just can't figure out why the simple grammatical (not gramatical) rules I learned back then still seem to stay with me now.

Today I (seen) lots of good buddies of mine. We got together and (done) had a good old time. We got together, (done) brewed some beer, and had (us) a good old time. But for all the folks i (seen) today out at the store and (c)here at home, I'll be damned if I (hain't heard me) some strange (talkin) the whole time.

Now, I understand the value of regional dialect. I'm perfectly happy saying that I'm fixin-a go down to the mercado to grab me a couple-a cases of cervezas. Hell, I was raised in central and western Texas. We blend some normal sayings and some Spanish sayings right into one. But it goes beyond dialect. It's like a cultural acceptance of terrible grammar.

Let me restate my science background. You can't be imprecise. Don't you tell me you needed .2 ounces of something when you really needed .02, because dammit, I'll measure out 2/10 of an ounce for you. This is sadly helpful in my field of >ahem< bartending when you measure liquor in ounces and quarter ounces. I can also handle a little fudging... people slur, people create their own "dialects"... and we blur the exact number of ounces in some drinks. That's the power of being on top people ;)

But at the same time, I know (since oh.... 7th grade) that the past tense of see is saw, (and even though my non-grammar mind can't tell you the proper tense name, I can tell you that it is always necessary to slap a "have" between the words "I" and "seen").



Grr.... this is what happens when (i) get back into blogging... all I wanna do it complain about things that bother me. But really now, when a damn science major is that guy who corrects everyone's grammar.... something's not right.

But then again, maybe we'll done get moved back to Texas soon.

No comments: